Fahrerbunker

Fahrerbunker Location
Fahrerbunker Location

The Fahrerbunker (Drivers Bunker) was situated behind the guards’ quarters on “Herman-Goering-Strasse”, now Ebertstrasse, there was a large underground garage where the New Reich Chancellery’s motor pool was parked and serviced. In the winter of 1943/44, the garage was augmented with a small bunker to protect the chauffeurs, as at this point normal air-raid shelters were not considered safe. There was space for about around 40 people in the eight small bunker rooms.
During the final battle for Berlin, considerable stocks of munitions – mainly hand grenades, Panzerfaeuste (rocket launchers) and infantry munitions – were stored here.

In contrast to the Führerbunker, the Fahrerbunker remained untouched for decades, for amongst other reasons, because the entrance was buried by a direct hit during the battle for the government quarter and after the construction of the Berlin Wall from the 13th of August 1961, it lay in the middle of the border strip.

The bunker was not discovered again until 1990, whilst munitions excavation and disposal work was being carried out in preparation for the open-air concert, “The Wall”.
The wall paintings, which idealized Nazi ideology, drew worldwide attention.
In 1992 and 1996 the bunker was investigated and measured by the regional archaeological authority under the leadership of Alfred Kernd’l, along with members of the Berlin Underworlds Association. The drivers bunker entrance was again opened in September 2006, the reasons behind this are unknown.

Fahrenbunker Entrance 1990
Fahrenbunker Entrance 1990

Connected to this bunker was the underground carpark”, which housed Hitlers personal fleet of cars. It was from here, that the petrol was obtained to burn the bodies of Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun. Two days later, more petrol was collected to burn the bodies of the Goebbels couple.

Each of the of the subterranean  garages was connected by a  passageway to the Fahrerbunker and had to pass a wide concrete staircase down to a landing, this led to a door to the left.
This entrance door had “SS Mannsbilderg …. ” painted in yellow, the rest could not be read.

This “outside wall” was not originally so dark,  this was possibly white, like all other walls in the interior of the bunker. Black smoke passed through the access staircase to here in 1945.
Fire caused the smoke damage to the walls.
The gas-tight sealed steel door was almost certainly sealed at the time of the fire, as there are no traces of smoke damage visible  inside the bunker.

Behind this door is the Fahrerbunkers and a  and a passage that leads to all the rooms of the bunker on both the left and right, straight ahead one of the rooms is visible.

Basement Stairway (Kellertreppe)
Kellertreppe

Basement Stairs (Kellertreppe)
This stairway led up from the actual drivers bunker entrance towards the exit. The visible gas-tight sealed steel door  leads out to a destroyed white-tiled passage in to the open and in the underground carpark which is no longer visible and has collapsed.

Passage (Gang)
The lamps in the passageway are all wired, and with the light bulbs still inserted in their sockets. However, since the iron bolts are attached to wooden dowels, the wood had rotted and collapsed over the years. It is important to note, that since the bunker personnel withdrew in 1945, no one has entered the bunker, there is no graffiti and no looting has taken place.

Emergency Generator (Notstromaggregat)
This is the emergency generator of the driving standby bunker, it is of the “phenomenon” brand, the same unit was also installed in the main bunker complex (Führerbunker).

Infirmary & Sleeping Quarters (Krankenstation & Schlafstätte)
The Infirmary and Sleeping quarters with 2 bunkbeds. In this room there is also an iron sheet cabinet “5” for the storage of medicine and medical utensils.
A rusty steel German helmet was also found here.

Fahrerbunker Toilets
Fahrerbunker Toilets

Toilets
View from the toilet compartments to the exit of the toilet space (toilets). Left was one of the two sinks on the wall, this has collapsed.
One of two hand basins in the only toilet in the Fahrerbunker. The rotary knobs are made of porcelain, while the “HOT” and “COLD” tops are nickel-plated brass, and are well preserved.
Looking into the toilet from the corridor (main door), left can be seen the half-open steel plate doors to the toilet compartments (2 or 3 toilets).

In one of the toilets cubicles, a one meter long ladies stocking was hanging on the partition wall to the left, unfortunately it disintigrated upon being touched, there are no photos of this.

This could be evidence of the “doom orgies” that had taken place in the last days of the war when disipline was breaking down.
Condoms were also found in another room, both used and unused.

Artifacts found in the Fahrerbunker
An Illustrated book “party congress of the victory”, this party conference was held in 1933. Paper and leather were well preserved in the flooded bunker.
Telephones
Photo negatives which were badly deteriorated
Weapons
Helmets

PLEASE NOTE: Some of the information on this page is taken from a PDF document by Nicolas Peucelle: Der Fahrerbunker in Berlin.


 

Fahrerbunker Gallery


 

Fahrerbunker Reconstruction in Berlin

A virtual and interactive reconstruction of a bunker from the time of National Socialism, the one unearthed during construction work in Berlin .

Share